Steam cooking times: the table showing the steam cooking times, food by food. What to cook with steam and tips for new recipes.
If you are always in a hurry, thesteamingis your greatest ally: icooking timesthey are relatively small! Cooking times do not represent the real advantage of the steam cooking technique: here the benefits lie in the more abundant amount of micronutrients contained in the food that we have to steam.
Theresteamingit is a simple and genuine way to prepare different dishes, from meat to vegetables, everything can be cooked in a steamer.
When preparing food in a steamer, it is always important to pay attention to the amount of water inserted: the basket, or rather, the food it contains must not come into contact with water.
There are different types of steam generators: electric ones, those for microwave ovens or steam generators with the classic basket (also calledpots for steam cooking). If you are only now approaching the world ofsteaming, the following table will show you isteam cooking timesof different foods.
Remember that size has a strong impact oncooking time, the larger the vegetable chunks (or the thicker the fish or meat fillet will be) and the longer it will take to finish cooking.
Steaming times food for food
- Spinach and rocket: 3 minutes
- Spring peas: 3 minutes
- Peas: 4 minutes
- Cauliflower and cabbage: 5 to 7 minutes
- Sweet potatoes cut into cubes 7 minutes
- Carrots cut into slices: 7 minutes
- Turnips and potatoes: 7 to 20 minutes
- Asparagus cut in half: 4 - 7 minutes
- Whole asparagus: 7 - 13 minutes
- Green beans: 6 - 10 minutes
- Beets: 7 - 9 minutes
- Broccoli: 5 - 7 minutes
- Whole Brussels sprouts: 8 - 15 minutes
- Brussels sprouts cut in half: 6 - 8 minutes
- Whole corn on the cob: 7 - 10 minutes
- Sliced fennel: 8 - 10 minutes
- Parsnip: 7 - 10 minutes
- Whole radishes: 14 minutes
- Radishes cut in half: 7 minutes
- Sliced courgettes: 5 - 8 minutes
- Eggs: 7 minutes
Meat steaming times
Red meat can be steamed but large and very fatty pieces should be avoided as they need to be cooked at higher temperatures. Fillets, tender meats or any specially sliced thinner cut are preferred. Ribs, steaks and large-sized meats are excluded. Here are the steaming times for chicken, pork ... referring to a quantity of about 300 grams and cut into thin slices or small pieces.
- Chicken breast: 10 minutes
- Turkey breast: 10 minutes
- Pork fillet: 16 minutes
THE cooking times for fish and meat they vary similarly to those of plant foods, i.e. it all depends on the thickness of the food.
Steaming times of fish
Here too much depends on the size. Generally speaking, we can say that it takes 8 to 10 minutes to cook 150 grams of fish. Let's see specific cases:
- Steaming times of a whole fish.
For a whole fresh fish, weighing around half a kg, you will need to steam it for 25 minutes.
- Fish fillet: 10 minutes
- Mussels: 15 minutes
- Shrimp and peeled shrimp: 5 minutes
- Shrimp in shell: 10 minutes
It is important to monitor the progress of cooking so as to stop it once the desired degree of softness is reached!
Tips for perfect steaming
To get onesteamingperfect, you need to follow a few simple precautions:
- the food must be cut evenly so that it has the same dimensions ecooking times.
- The foods must not be excessively piled on top of each other because the steam must be able to circulate effectively and cook the food along the entire surface. Be careful not to overload your steamer.
- The amount of water is crucial. Water must NEVER come into contact with food in its liquid state.
- The lid must be tightly closed and you must not lift it during the cooking process otherwise it will be more difficult to calculate the times.
Those who are beginners, to cook with steam, would do well to use an electric steamer: the electric steamers latest generation have an integrated timer and stop cooking food at the appropriate time. In addition, the electric steamer allows you to monitor, at least visually, the cooking of food.
Here are some recipes to prepare with the steamer, the bamboo basket or any pot suitable for steam cooking.
Steamed fish with aromatic herbs
Steam the fish. Choose a sea bass, or, if you prefer, for steam cooking they are also very suitable: sea bream, sole, sea bass, salmon or trout.
While you wait for the cooking time of the fish, prepare the dressing with: 1 tablespoon of oil (one tablespoon for each fish), half a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, chopped herbs such as thyme, parsley, mint and chives. After steaming, season the fish with the mix of oil, vinegar and aromatic herbs.
Steamed vegetable flan
The steamed vegetables are very genuine but… not everyone appreciates that too “natural” flavor. That's why we offer you the recipe for steamed vegetable flan. For this steamed recipe you can use all the vegetables you want.
Blend 600 grams of raw vegetables until they are creamy. Mix with 6 egg whites beaten until stiff. Add 150 grams of lean ricotta, salt, pepper, nutmeg and chopped marjoram. Mix all the ingredients and transfer them to small bowls. Steam the terrines individually for about 40 minutes.