Lemon zest: how to do itto make the most of all the healing properties of lemon peel. Benefits and advice for use.
Everyone knows the beneficial properties of lemon, a citrus fruit rich in micronutrients useful for the health of the body. Unfortunately, we almost always waste half of its goodness, that is zest; we are used to using only the lemon juice, ignoring the many healing properties contained in the Lemon peel!
In lemon zest it contains substances such as citronella, phellandrena, vitamin C, citric acid, malic acid, formic acid, hesperidin and pectins.
Just think that the most preciouslemon essential oilit is produced starting from the cold pressing of theLemon peeland certainly not from the juice of the fruit.
How to use lemon zest
Generally, lemon peel is used only to garnish desserts or to enrich culinary recipes that require this characteristic bitter touch.
Given the many benefits of lemon zest, why not start including it in your diet? Here's how to use lemon zest in cooking.
- Wash the lemon well and grate the zest or blend the zest and then include them in soups, salads, sauces ... in short, an ingredient that goes well with any dish
- When making lemonade, you can blend the lemon with the zest, so you will enjoy 100% the benefits of this precious citrus fruit. The flavor will be slightly altered, but it will be just as delicious and very refreshing.
- Lemon zest can be used to add a special touch to both alcoholic and non-alcoholic cocktails
Lemon zest in tea
A lemon peel in the tea aromatizes and gives active ingredients to the infusion!
Lemon peel tea is another excellent option to enjoy all the benefits possessed by lemon; a drink known for its beneficial properties: it detoxifies the body, eliminates toxins and fights free radicals that accumulate in the body. Without neglecting the fact that it is effective in preventing colds thanks to its high content of vitamin C.
- 1 liter of water
- The zest and juice of 2 untreated lemons
- Honey or stevia
- Pour the water into a pot together with the zest of the two lemons and cook over high heat
- Let it boil for 15 minutes
- Once this time has elapsed, remove from the heat and add the juice of the two lemons
- Sweeten the drink with a little honey or stevia.
Lemon tea can be drunk cold or hot after any meal. If you prefer to drink it for breakfast, it is best to take it on an empty stomach.
Benefits of lemon zest
Experts claim that lemon peel may be useful in fighting abdominal bloating, while also reducing intestinal gas.
It would be able to perform a hepatoprotective function: it purifies the liver thanks to its detoxifying effects that stimulate the elimination of toxic substances and waste.
Thanks to the stimulating substances, it would help digestion.
Thanks to its high content of vitamin C and other vitamins, lemon peel is useful for improving the efficiency of the immune system, preventing infections, flu, colds and respiratory problems.
Some scientific studies claim that the constant intake of lemon peel could help in the fight against malignant tumors.
The anticancer properties of lemon peel are still being examined by the scientific community. The most accredited theory lies in the possible implication oflimonenein preventing the development of turmoral cells. Probably this mechanism could be linked to the already known and proven onesanti-inflammatory propertiesof this active ingredient.
To take advantage of allbenefitsand theproperties of lemon peelwe invite you to use lemon essential oil for food use.
Grated lemon zest
The grated lemon zest can be added to flavor sweet and savory creams, from bechamel to Chantilly cream, from jams to lemon chicken escalopes!
The white part below contains pectins and has the disadvantage of being bitter on the palate. To get only the lemon peel, you can use a grater or a special tool like the one shown in the photo above. Where to buy it? In any kitchen utensils store or by taking advantage of the online purchase. On Amazon you can buy it for about 8 euros with free shipping. For all information, I refer you tothis address.
Lemon zest, recipes
In addition to the classic limoncello or lemon cream recipe, lemon peels can be used in a large number of preparations.
You can add lemon zest to all your recipes, both sweet and savory. You can start by preparing citrus-flavored salt or sugar (with lemon peel and orange peel) or add lemon peel to soups and salads.
It is also possible to prepare candied lemon zest. To prepare the candied lemon peelyou can follow this simple recipe.
- Cut the lemon peel into strips and remove the white part, leaving only the yellow part
- Place the strips for three days in a bowl full of water, changing it at least twice a day
- Once this is done, dry them and weigh them all: their weight must be the equivalent of the sugar you are going to use
- Mix the strips and sugar in a saucepan, add a little water and bring to a boil. Repeat this operation three times a day with the same syrup, for 3 days: until the rinds become transparent. If the sugar melts too much, add more.
... And who thinks that lemon is only useful in the kitchen, here's how to use lemon to degrease, deodorize, clean and for skin and nail care "The alternative uses of lemon"