With the passage from one season to another, there is no shortage of small ailments that affect the throat and respiratory tract. If you don't want to resort to classic drugs but rely on more natural and genuine remedies, here is a recipe to prepare a cough syrup at home.
It only takes a few minutes and a few fresh and natural ingredients, excellent for the well-being of the whole body.
Homemade syrup, the ingredients
- 30 grams of black tea
- 1 liter of water
- 30 grams of ground cinnamon
- 30 grams of turmeric
- 20 grams of ginger
- 300 ml of almond milk
- 20 grams of organic honey
- 2 untreated lemons
Homemade syrup, preparation
- In a saucepan, pour the ground cinnamon, turmeric and ginger
- Add the water and heat until boiling.
- Boil for about 15 minutes then add the tea and boil for another 3 minutes
- Filter the mixture and add the almond milk
- After letting it rest, add the grated lemon zest, honey and lemon juice
- Transfer the freshly prepared syrup to an airtight sterilized glass bottle
Homemade syrup, therapeutic properties
Ginger acts as a natural decongestant and fights sore throats, thanks to its anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibacterial properties. The oleoresin contained in ginger can prevent and relieve coughs.
Honey is another effective cough remedy. Thanks to its antioxidant and antimicrobial properties, it can fight infections of the upper respiratory tract.
Thanks to the high presence of vitamin C, lemon can fight coughs and colds, also acting as a powerful antioxidant and stimulating the immune system. Furthermore, lemon has antiviral and antibacterial properties to fight infections.
Homemade syrup with onions
Here is another natural remedy that allows us to benefit from the multiple properties of the onion. Particularly suitable for those suffering from cough or the first symptoms of the flu.
- 3 onions
- 250 ml of water
- 250 ml of honey
- Cut the onions into small pieces then add the water and honey
- Put the mixture in a saucepan and let it cook over low heat for 3 hours
- Strain the liquid and your syrup is ready.
Homemade syrup, useful recommendations
- Syrups have sugar as their main ingredient, which acts as a preservative. We instead preferred to resort to honey, since it is a much more nutritious and beneficial food. The presence of white sugar in a syrup doesn't make it great for health.
- Once the syrup has been prepared, you will have to keep it in a glass container with an airtight lid and preferably dark in the refrigerator.
- Since it contains no preservatives other than honey, we recommend that you consume it in a maximum of two weeks. Being easy to prepare, the ideal would be to prepare them just before consuming them.
- The recommended doses are one tablespoon on an empty stomach as a prevention, and three tablespoons a day, before meals, as an intensive treatment.
- It is always good to consult a doctor before carrying out any treatment, even if natural.
Homemade syrup, variations
If you want, you can add some ingredients to your homemade syrups to further enhance its effects. Here are some ingredients:
- A few drops of propolis: effective for strengthening your immune defenses
- Essential oil of oregano: effective in eliminating possible pathogens from our body. Just add a few drops to the syrup and shake well, as it tastes quite strong and can be irritating if you overdo the quantities.
Eucalyptus essential oil against sore throat
The essential oil is very suitable as a natural remedy for sore throats and colds; just perform suffimiges by pouring three or four drops for each liter of boiling water. Even with eucalyptus essential oil it is possible to gargle, you just need to add a couple of drops of essential oil to a glass of warm water and gargle twice a day.
Where to buy eucalyptus essential oil?
Amazon offers 100% Pure Eucalyptus Essential Oil at the price of 4.29 euros.
Othersnatural remedies for sore throat