How to choose the oven: from the gas oven to the microwave, all the necessary information to choose the model that best suits your needs and learn to immediately identify malfunctions and anomalies.
The oven is one of the most commonly used appliances in the kitchen; allows us to cook many dishes in a varied and diversified way. There are several types available on the market, with different designs, sizes and functions. Which model to choose? Here is the guide to choosing the right oven for you!
How to choose the gas oven
The gas oven allows a less expensive source of energy than other types of oven, but regardless of the savings, it has some drawbacks: it heats up very quickly but it becomes difficult to regulate the temperature that never drops below 130-150 degrees .
How to choose the electric oven
The electric oven can be static or ventilated. The static oven works thanks to two resistances, one lower and one upper, which can be used simultaneously or alternately, according to the type of food.
In the fan-assisted oven, in addition to the resistances, there is a fan which, operating when the oven is switched on, distributes the heat evenly within the space. This allows a more homogeneous cooking even on several dishes at the same time, ensuring faster cooking with a considerable saving of electricity.
Many foods are best cooked with a convection oven, but others need a traditional static oven.
The microwave oven requires less energy than a traditional electric oven, does not need to be preheated and cooks food quickly even if not uniformly. In general, foods cooked in the microwave keep their nutritional properties intact, even if it is very difficult to obtain dishes that are golden on the surface.
For further information, please refer to the article "Guide to choosing an electric oven"
How to choose the oven, the most frequent problems
It may happen that the dishes are not well cooked, or that the appliances and furniture near the oven get too hot. In both cases, the cause of the malfunction is to be found in the dispersion of heat. The first thing to check is that there are no cracks on the door and above all that the oven closes properly. The second step is to contact your trusted technician to check the ventilation system.
How to choose the oven, tips for saving
To save on the electricity or gas bill, it is possible to implement some small precautions concerning the correct use of the oven:
- open the oven door only if necessary as cooling involves a higher energy consumption
- Remember that preheating is not essential, in fact it is done only for cooking certain types of food
- Only use the grill for 5 or 10 minutes to brown foods, but not to cook them: perhaps not everyone knows that this mode consumes twice as much energy as traditional heating.
- Always remember to turn off the oven a few minutes before the end of cooking food, keeping the door closed: the accumulated heat helps to complete the work
- To save energy, prefer a class A or higher appliance (A +, A ++): perhaps you will immediately be fooled by the relatively lower cost of a lower class oven, but remember that what you will save on the price of the oven, you will spend on bill .... with interest!
- Nor should the aesthetic aspect be underestimated, it must be appropriate to the environment in which it will settle
- At the time of purchase, get advice from your trusted dealer and always opt for a good product from the point of view of the materials used, which provides all the guarantees in accordance with the law
Make sure that the nearest service center of the chosen brand can be reached in a short time, to avoid inconvenient and expensive "transfers",
ATTENTION: do not be influenced too much by the brand and advertisements, sometimes they turn out to be deceptive.