Therecare of succulents: tips for the perfect cultivation of succulents at home or outdoors. Always valid tips to take care of succulents, both in summer and winter.
Therecareof thefat plantsfocuses on three fundamental rules which, with the necessary precautions, apply throughout the year, including winter.
When we talk aboutfat plantswe refer to those plants characterized bysoft fleshy fabricsisturgid, rich in water. These fabrics, forsucculent plants, represent a realstorage organ, a bit like adipose tissue for us (that's why we call themfat plants!).
Thefat plantsthey are easy to grow but that doesn't mean they should be neglected. Therecare of succulentsis based on three simple rules to respect:little water, light at will and excellent drainage.With this premise, percurethe bestfat plantsand to prevent the appearance of diseases by guaranteeing them a long life, you will need to pay attention to the water supply, exposure and soil.
As for the treatment of succulent plant diseases, we refer you to the most common cases:Cochineal of succulents - Rot of succulents.
The care of succulents
Water for succulents: the right dosage
Water must be administered wisely. Thefat plantsthey can suddenly perish or lose leaves and flowers for no apparent cause. In this context, an excess of water is usually responsible: this is what happens to give too much water to succulents, you kill them! Especially if the ground is prone to water stagnation and temperatures are below 10 ° C.
Even if you forget to give water for long periods, the next time you irrigate, do not exceed the dosage!
How to water succulents
- L'water for succulents It must NOT be calcareous (do not take tap water, but prefer rainwater. If you really want to use tap water, leave it in a basin for at least 24 hours before serving).
- Irrigate with water at room temperature.
- Let the soil dry completely between one irrigation and the next.
- The dosage provides for limited quantities: the water must not come out of the pot's braking holes.
- If thefat plantit is found in a loose substrate rich in sand, never flood the pot but only moisten the clod.
- To establish the dosageright, add with a known volume: give a glass of water and wait a minute, if the water does not come out of the bottom of the jar, add another half glass. You must understand the right amount of water needed to saturate the soil without causing stagnation and without escaping from the drainage hole of the pot.
- Avoid the use of saucers except for aesthetic reasons: they must always be very dry!
Soil for succulents
For the perfectcare of succulentsyou cannot use generic soil. Thesucculent plantsthey are used to living in substrates that do not retain water at all, it is soils such as sand, gravel or rocks.
Forgrow succulentsyou cannot use a generic soil but use a specific substrate for succulent plants. If you want to prepare the soil suitable for succulents yourself, you will need to add three parts of soil for flowers, two parts of coarse sand and a little charcoal.
At the bottom of the vase you will need to prepare acrawl space of gravelthus the excess liquid will not be able to rise by capillarity or be reabsorbed by the plants in any way.
Light, correct exposure
Another non-negligible factor is linked to correct exposure. Thesucculent plantslove the heat and the sun, if you keep them in low light environments they are destined to deteriorate because they would not be able to activate the process ofchlorophyll photosynthesis.
Place the pot with the succulent in full light, in front of a south-facing window. Pay attention that no part of the plant comes into direct contact with the glass and, during the period of permanence of the succulent plant, in winter, avoid opening the windows. Succulents are sensitive to thermal shocks.
Each part of the plant must receive the right amount of light, so when you go to water the succulent plant, rotate it a quarter of a turn to ensure perfect health on each side.
If you enjoyed this article on the care of succulents you can follow me on Twitter, add me on Facebook, between circles of G + or see my shots on Instagram, le vie dei social they are infinite! :)
You may also be interested in the article "Echeveria: variety, cultivation and care“