Strawberry jam, recipewith or without sugar. Quick recipe (ready in just 70 minutes), natural strawberry jam and pasteurization.
Have you thought about having breakfast with the Strawberry jam made with your hands? With spring comes strawberries, a tasty fruit with a thousand therapeutic virtues! Think that strawberries have been included among the super foods that "keep young" in the special ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) ranking drawn up by the USDA for the record content of antioxidants beneficial to health.
At this point it is obvious to think that the strawberries they should never be missing in our small green space: they are easy to grow and can give great satisfaction with an abundant production of fruit. The strawberries they are available from April to June, the first we find are the so-called wild strawberries, the most sought after for their flavor. Strawberries as well as being used in the preparation of desserts, fruit salads… .can become excellent jams. Here's how to make one Strawberry jam, following our step by step recipe.
Strawberry jam, useful information
- If you can't grow them, at least prefer an Italian product and buy them when they are in season, in spring.
- Choose turgid strawberries with a bright and uniform red color, and with a stalk well attached to the fruit
- If you buy strawberries in a tray, make sure that there are no bruised or moldy fruits, because in a short time the mold can spread to the whole package
- To do the Strawberry jam it is important that you get strawberries that have not been chemically treated.
Strawberry jam, the classic recipe
The recipe of thestrawberry jam with brown sugarhowever, if you prefer, you can replace these ingredients with classic white sugar.
Strawberry jam, the ingredients
- 2 kilos of strawberries
- 600 grams of brown sugar
- An untreated lemon
- Hermetically sealed sterilized jars
Strawberry jam, preparation
- Wash the strawberries thoroughly, removing their clean stalk then pass them in a colander and let them drain well.
- Wait for them to dry well then transfer them to a bowl and cover them with a few tablespoons of sugar
- Add the lemon juice and leave to macerate for at least 2 hours in a dark and dry place
- Once this is done, transfer the strawberries to a stainless steel pot and add the remaining sugar
- Cook over low heat until the jam has thickened
- Wait at least ten minutes then pour the strawberry jam into the sterilized jars
- Close the jars tightly and place them on a shelf upside down for about 1 hour
- After the time has elapsed, put the jars in the pantry
ATTENTION: before pouring the jam into the jars it is best to sterilize them. In this case, just put the jars in boiling water for about twenty minutes.
Strawberry jam, conservation
- Put the date of preparation of the strawberry jam on an adhesive label and apply it to the jar
- Store in a cool place and away from light and humidity.
- Once the jam jar is open, place it in the fridge and consume it within a week.
Sugar-free strawberry jam
Those who prefer to spread one on wholemeal ruskslight and sugar-free strawberry jam, can follow the recipe that we propose.
The only care, in preparing thesugar-free strawberry jam, lies in the use of very ripe fruit. Also in this case it is a natural recipe, without artificial pectin (such as pec fruit), without preservatives or refined sweeteners.
Strawberry jam without sugar, the ingredients
- 500 grams of ripe strawberries
- juice of one lemon
- 1 apple very ripe apple
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
Sugar-free strawberry jam, the procedure
- Wash the strawberries thoroughly and cut them into cubes.
- Peel and slice the apple, always in cubes.
- Add the lemon juice and let it rest for about an hour at room temperature.
- Pour the strawberries and apple into a saucepan in which you will need to add half a glass of water.
- Cook over low heat for about 40 minutes. If you prefer, add some ginger and mix (you will get a more aromatic flavor and scent).
- Pour the sugar-free strawberry jam into sterilized glass jars.
The apple, rather than a sweetener, will serve as a thickener: it is a source of natural pectin. In the recipe of thesugar-free strawberry jam you can try to replace the apple with a carrot, the result will have a sweeter note.
Strawberry jam with the Thermomix
If you want to prepare thestrawberry jamwith a thermomix type food processor, you can follow our recipe with which you will obtain three jars. The one with thechildrenis undoubtedly the fastest and fastest strawberry jam recipe to prepare.
Strawberry jam with thermomix, ingredients
- 600 grams of strawberries
- 330 grams of sugar
- 70 grams of vanilla sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Also in this case, the use of sugar can be replaced with a carrot or an apple. Still, vanilla sugar is not necessary, it only serves to give the jam a hint of vanilla. As seen in the first recipe, white sugar can be replaced with brown sugar.
Thermomix strawberry jam, procedure
- Wash and clean the strawberries.
- Put all the ingredients (without the need to cut) in the mixing bowlthermomix.
- Set 30 minutes at 100th Speed 1.
- Then set 40 minutes temp. Varoma Vel. 1.
With the varoma program you will thicken the jam. This is the general recipe but the timing can vary based on two factors:how thick do you want the jam? How ripe are your strawberries? How much liquid do your strawberries contain ...?
If after 30 minutes at 100 ° and speed 1 the strawberries are already very dense, lower the passage times in Varoma.
Pasteurize the homemade strawberry jam
Therestrawberry jam, whether they are prepared with thechildren, with cane sugar or without sugar, can undergo a homemade pasteurization process.
The process is simple. Once the strawberry jam jars are filled, close them tightly. Place the jars in a pot with water.
Make sure that the water completely covers the jars. Bring to a boil and wait 50 minutes.
Let the jars cool again in the boiling water. Once removed from the pot, turn the jars upside down to create the vacuum.
With thehomemade strawberry jamyou can prepare a delicious tart. For the recipe you will need 200 grams of strawberry jam (for those who care about line, better if it is sugar-free jam!). For the complete recipe the page is available:homemade jam tart.
You may also be interested in our related articles:
- Orange marmalade: ingredients
- Pasteurization and sterilization