How to save water at home: strategies, devices, advice and good habits to respect to consolidate the water savingwithin the home.
To avoid the damage related to water waste in Italy, it is possible to act daily and take action forsave water in the house. The data released by the OECD - Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development - show that the main water consumption is attributable to personal hygiene, and it is within the walls of bathrooms and kitchens that we can implement strategies forwater saving in the house.
How to save water at home, OECD data
According to theOrganization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the main water consumption within the home occurs for:
- 43% personal hygiene: 33% for showers and bathrooms and 10% for sinks
- 31% wc
- 14% appliances: 11% for washing machines and 3% for dishwashers
- 3% for the outside of the house: garden and swimming pools
How to save water at home, the advices
According to the OECD data, we will issue you advice in order of priority:
- Avoid letting water run unnecessarily: avoid washing clothes or food under running water, avoid leaving the tap running while soaping in the shower or brushing your teeth.
- Prefer the shower to the bathtub: using the shower will make you consume an average of 50 liters, against the 150 needed for the bathtub.
- Install a nozzle to the taps and replace the old two taps with a modern mixer. A spray nozzle requires 'only' 9 liters per minute for the shower, it can be purchased in a hardware or household store and can be assembled independently in a few minutes.
- Wash fruit and vegetables in basins full of water, then recycle the water to irrigate the plants in the garden.
- Choose appliances with reduced water consumption.
- Always use washing machines and dishwashers with full loads.
- If possible, install a water recycling system: for example, to flush the toilet it is possible to use rainwater collection tanks or the same water used for washing the washing machine.
- Check the domestic water system to check for leaks: just look at the water meter, if it remains stationary with the taps closed there are no leaks, otherwise it will be necessary to act.
- If not yet present, in the toilet at home you should install a "dispenser" for the toilet with two different volumes of water to be used according to needs.
- Water the plants in the morning or at sunset and use good mulch: thanks to these precautions, the evaporation of water will be reduced to a minimum.
- Irrigate using a drip system.
- To wash the car, use dry cleaning or use buckets of water instead of the continuous jet.