Citrus fruit grafting: when and how to graft lemon, orange, grapefruit ...graftingit is the most suitable citrus propagation technique as it manages to return plants even more vigorous than the original rootstock.
Citrus fruit grafting, what type of graft?
The techniques ofgraftingused with citrus fruits are thesplit graft, the crown graft and the vegetative bud graft also calledscudetto graftor by eye. Thegraftssimpler to operate are thesplit graftand thebud graft.
Grafting citrus Period
Citrus fruit grafting when?If you are wondering about the period best forgraft citrus fruits(lemon, orange, mandarin, grapefruit, bergamot…), this does not depend on the plantcitrus fruits, but from the type of graft. The period, based ongraftingchosen, runs from April to May or from June to the end of August.
Split citrus fruit grafting
The split graft is among the easiest to operate. The best time to practice split grafting for a citrus plant, be it lemons or oranges, is from April to May. To know how to perform asplit grafton lemons, oranges or other citrus varieties, we refer you to the guide article "Citrus split graft".
Citrus bud graft or scudetto graft
L'wandering bud graft, also called eye graft or shield, has excellent chances of taking root. Theperiodbest to run it is from June to August. For thebud graftthe rootstock must have a diameter of at least 3 cm.
- Make a T cut on the bark of the rootstock, in an area free of buds and on the opposite side to the bud. The cut must be 4 cm long.
- Take a bud from the plant frompropagate so that it presents a shield, that is a base, as shown in our photo gallery dedicated to the gem graft.
- Lift the bark of the rootstock on both sides of the T-cut and insert the shield with the bud facing up.
- Match the parts perfectly and tie the graft with raffia and, to avoid the onset of fungal diseases, spread the graft mastic.
Crown citrus fruit graft(the wizard is shown in the photo above)
For thecrown graftthe rootstock must have a diameter greater than 10 cm. When to practice crown grafting? The best period for crown grafting on any citrus plant is between April and May.
- Cut the rootstock to the desired height and make a vertical cut in the court with a length of about 4 cm. Prepare the scion so that it has a wedge of the same length as the cut engraved on the rootstock.
- Lift the bark of the rootstock, insert the scion, matching the parts perfectly and tie thegraftingwith raffia.
- Also in this case it is possible to spread the mastic for grafts to favor the rooting and prevent the onset of rot or fungal diseases.
Split citrus fruit grafting: the diameter of the rootstock must not exceed 10 mm.
Crown citrus fruit grafting: the diameter of the rootstock must be greater than 10 mm.
Citrus fruits, scudetto grafting or bud grafting: the diameter of the rootstock must be at least 3 cm.
To increase the chances of taking root, use a knife with a very sharp blade and sterilize it before use. For scudetto, gem or V-shaped grafting. The grafting knife with square blade is well suited for scudetto or gem, wedge grafting and for grafting semi-woody and woody species. A good classic grafting knife, with a steel blade signed Rolson is offered on Amazon at a price of 14.21 euros with free shipping.
Professional grafting machine
Those who intend to graft with scions and rootstocks with a diameter of 2 cm will have to buy a real professional grafting machine.
A good product with an excellent value for money is the Stocker professional manual grafting machine, offered on Amazon at a price of about € 37.80 including shipping costs. This professional cutter allows you to cut branches up to 2 cm in diameter by practicing only the V-shaped cut, therefore with fixed blades that can only be changed once consumed.
As is clear, we have devoted a great deal of pages toGrafting of fruit trees, this is because the techniques are different and nothing must be left to chance, starting with the cut. To increase the chances of taking root, in addition to the use of a stimulating mastic, it is necessary to make a clean, clean cut without burrs. An unclear cut could cause suffering to the plant and compromise the success of the entire operation. This is why it is recommended to use well-sharpened knives or scissors designed for omega or gem cutting ... The use of the grafting knife is recommended only for those with great practicality and experience. To facilitate the entire operation, i sector professionals now they use special grafting scissors. Grafting scissors are not expensive and on the market there are exclusive ones for a type of cut or more versatile and therefore adaptable to make different types of grafting. Among the various purchase proposals, I would like to point out what appear to be the best value for money grafting scissors:
- Professional grafting scissors - “Tink-sky Professional” - Price € 29.99
- Professional grafting scissors - "Tofern Professional ”- Price € 23.40
These grafting scissors allow you to easily obtain cuts aomega, split and interlocking (U, V and omega cuts), it is also equipped with two additional blades and the classic blades for pruning the plant. Thegrafting scissors mentionedhave similar characteristics. The only differences lie in the manufacturer and in the fact that the more expensive pruning shears allows you to cut more double branches, with a larger diameter than the Tofren shears which have a maximum opening of 12 mm.
Made of steel and durable plastic. The cutting system for grafting is particularly suitable for grafting fruit plants even if it fits well on woody branches (roses, vines and other ornamental plants). Both prices indicated include free shipping costs.
How to graft a lemon
All the rules seen above apply to the grafting of the lemon. L'graftingmore suitable is the "gem" one. It is best to graft the lemon in spring at a height of 60 - 100 cm.
Grafting of the orange
Orange is ahybrid and for this it is not possible to grow the plant from seed, the only way to start orange cultivation is to choose an already grafted plant or graft one! Only with grafting is it possible to obtain a plant that bears fruit.
A sapling ofbitter orange(citrus x aurantium or citrus myrtifolia due to its greater tolerance to cold). In this case it is recommended to practice aorange split or crown graft.
How to graft a fruit tree?
- Choose rootstock and scion
- Adjust the scissors to the type of cut (and graft) desired
- Cut the scion and the branch of the rootstock where you want to plant the scion
- Join the scion to the rootstock by adding mastic
- Seal with raffia or grafting tape.