Elderberry recipes: jam, liqueur, donuts, drinks, flavored wine and lots of tips for using elderflower in the kitchen.
Theelderberry in the kitchenit is widely used and can be used in many recipes. The flowers ofelderthey are used to cook tasty donuts, while the fruit is excellentelderberry jam.How many of you have ever heard of "sambucata“? A flavored drink made from elderberry flowers. Here is a list of recipesbased onElder
Elderberry donuts, recipe
One could also speak of elderflower in batteror elderflower mini pizzas.
Thererecipeplans to pass i flowers in a batter composed of water, egg and flour, salted and peppered to taste. The battered elderberry flowers can be flavored with the addition of a hint of sugar and those who do not prefer the flavor of the egg can eliminate it and prepare a simple batter, with the addition of a few tablespoons of milk.
Dip the flowers in this batter and fry them in a large pan in which you have heated some oil for frying. These donuts are delicious when sweetened with sugar.
How to cook elderflower?
- Prepare a batter by combining water, flour and egg
- In a large pan, over high heat, heat up some oil for frying
- Dip the elder flowers into the batter and fry them
- Remove the dough from the frying oil only when it is completely golden
- Sprinkle the donuts with plenty of sugar.
You can also add a hint of cinnamon or apple puree to the dough.
Samucata or elderberry syrup, recipe
Theresambucata orelderberry syrup, is a summer preparation based on elderflower and sugar. Here is the recipe for making elderberry syrup at home.
- In a large airtight jar, place a large cluster of elderberry flowers and leave to rest for 7 days.
- Together with the elder flowers, add 100 grams of sugar and a liter of distilled water.
- During the seven days, take care to shake the preparation daily.
- After seven days, strain the liquid and pour it into an airtight bottle.
- Leave the preparation to rest for another 30 days.
- Before serving this drink, let it cool in the fridge. Sambucata is best enjoyed ice-cold.
There sambucata it is an excellent drink to be served on hot summer days, it has a slightly sparkling flavor and an acrid aftertaste.
Elderberry jam, recipe
To prepare theelderberry jamyou need a few ingredients:
- 1 kg of elderberries
- The juice of a large lemon
- 400 grams of sugar
Thereelderberry jamit is an original preserve and different from the classic jams.
How to make elderberry jam, recipe
Wash the elderberries, remove the stems and put them in a pot by pressing them with a wooden spoon. Bring to a boil over low heat and bring to a boil, stirring gently.
After 10 minutes from boiling, add the sugar and lemon juice. Cook for another 30 minutes. Pour the hot jam into the special well sterilized glass jars.
How to make elderberry wine, recipe
The flowers ofelderthey are used to give aroma to white wines while the fruits of the elder, in winemaking, are used to give tone, aroma and color to red wine.
Elderberry juice, recipe
In addition to jam, elderberry fruit can also be used to make juice. If you have a juice extractor, you can make it at home and dilute it in an infusion of dried elderflower. Alternatively, to take advantage of the properties of elderberry, you can buy the juice in herbalists.
In fact, elderberry juice is used as a supplement and natural remedy against constipation and, in addition, has an antinervralgic action.
Where to buy ready-to-use elderberry juice?
In the most well-stocked herbalists or by taking advantage of online sales. There are many sellers on Amazon offering elderberry juice. For all information, I refer you tothis Amazon page, where juice obtained from elderberries and enriched with an infusion of elderberry flowers and sweetened with agave syrup is offered.