Castile soap together with Marseille soap is among the most popular natural soaps in the world; on sale there are many types, both made with the basic recipes, and with the addition of other ingredients, such as vegetable oils or essential oils. It can also be produced at home, just get the ingredients that make it up.
The main ingredient is caustic soda to be diluted in distilled water but it should be emphasized that during the saponification process, caustic soda is corrosive so it is good to act very carefully. Fortunately, once the saponification process is finished there are no more traces of the product. Let's see in detail how to do the Castile soap at home following our recipe step by step.
Castile soap, what we need to produce it
- 2 kilos of olive oil
- 600 grams of distilled water
- 250 grams of caustic soda
- 20 ml of lavender essential oil
- Protections for safe handling of caustic soda: resistant rubber gloves, goggles, mask
- Precision balance
- Wooden ladle
- Glass jug for diluting caustic soda
- Stainless steel pot
- Oven thermometer
- Immersion blender
- Durable plastic containers to use as molds
- Old wool sweaters
Castile soap, the preparation
- Weigh the caustic soda and pour it very gently into the water inside the carafe: be careful not to put the soda first and then the water as it is dangerous
- Heat the oil in the saucepan over a low flame and wait for it to reach 40-50 °
- Pour the diluted soda, being very careful
- Start blending the mixture, with the hand blender, until it thickens: to understand if it is ready just raise the blender and check that the mixture leaves a trail that does not incorporate immediately, but remains on the surface
- Add your favorite essential oil and mix: if you want you can also add spices, algae, medicinal herbs or other natural elements to give the soap other specific qualities or characteristics
- After mixing the mixture well, pour into molds and cover with old wool and then let it rest for a day.
- After the time has elapsed, remove the soap from the molds to cut it into the desired shapes: this operation must also be performed with gloves
The soap is ready for use after at least a month and a half.
Castile soap, where to buy?
Beyond theCastile soapsolid, to be produced as just described, theCastile soapis available in formliquid.On the market it is not difficult to findliquid castile soapwithout added detergents. Among the most natural products on the market we point out: Castile Organic Soap - 100% Natural