How to make mozzarella in carrozza: information on which mozzarella to choose, the recipe for fried or baked mozzarella in carriages. How to serve mozzarella in carrozza and all the other info on this typical dish of Messina, Cilento and Neapolitan cuisine.
Mozzarella in carrozza: fior di latte or mozzarella?
Mozzarella in carrozza is a food that finds ample space between the "Street food"and due to its ease of preparation, it can be made at home in a few minutes. Theremozzarella in a carriageit can be cooked both fried and in the oven, so as to reduce the calorie intake associated with the frying oil.
For themozzarella in carrozza recipeyou can choose the classic buffalo mozzarella or fior di latte; fior di latte is a dairy product obtained with a technique almost identical to that of the preparation of buffalo mozzarella, in fact, the definition "cow's milk mozzarella“.
The buffalo mozzarella is ideal to be served fresh, natural or accompanied by a drizzle of oil, oregano and tomato (the traditional caprese), while the fior di latte is more suitable for cooking and stuffing, in particular to prepare the filling of known and tasty “mozzarella in carrozza”, so our advice is to choose fior di latte for the preparation of mozzarella in carrozza. Who prefers a more tastesmoked, can prepare the same recipe using fresh provola.
Mozzarella in Carrozza Recipe
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 8 slices of square bread, without edges
- 4 slices of mozzarella
- 2 eggs
- Flour as required
- Milk, a spoon (to be used only if the mozzarella is very dry)
- Salt and pepper
- Frying oil
- Cut the mozzarella into very thick slices and let it dry by placing it in a colander.
- Cut the slices of bread loaf into smaller squares or triangles: from each slice you will need to make 4 smaller squares or triangles.
- “Beat "the eggs, add salt and pepper. If necessary, add the milk.
- Mash the slices of toast by applying pressure with your hand.
- Stuff the bread with mozzarella.
- Pass the slices of stuffed loaf bread, first in the flour and then in the eggs.
- Fry them in abundant boiling oil: cook for a few minutes on each side. Remove when the mozzarella in a carriage turns golden.
- Leave to dry on kitchen paper and serve hot.
Baked mozzarella in carrozza recipe
For baking, it is true that there is bread, but we also recommend adding a layer of breadcrumbs for a more crunchy result.
Follow the preparation described above up to step 6. After the egg, dip the slices of stuffed bread in abundant breadcrumbs.
Brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Add a few drops of oil to the surface of the stuffed bread. Bake at 200 ° for about 8 minutes or until the browning is complete.
Mozzarella in a carriage and wine
There mozzarella in a carriage it should be served with wines with a more pronounced acid freshness current. A good, lean and refreshing white wine will do just fine, or rely on wines suitable for breaded foods: Blanc de Morgex et de La Salle, Bonarda Vivace, Lettere, Moscato d'Asti, Müller Thurgau, Reggiano or Sylvaner.
You may also be interested in the article: "How mozzarella is made“