Today we will offer you two recipes that do not involve the use of animal derived products. A vegan and healthy menu for all those who want to experiment with alternatives to meat. The absolute protagonist of our recipes is the seitan, a high protein food, composed of cereals, with a similar appearance to meat but with a softer consistency.
The seitan it is very versatile: it goes well with many ingredients, such as apples, balsamic vinegar, all types of vegetables. It can therefore be cooked in various ways and will be perfect as a second course for any type of banquet. Let's see in detail how to cook seitan following our recipes step by step. You can find seitan in any supermarket or in shops that deal with natural foods. Alternatively, you can make seitan at home, just follow the instructions in the article "How to make seitan"
- Seitan with oranges and black olives, ingredients
- 8 slices of seitan (50 grams each)
- 2 untreated oranges
- 2 tablespoons of rice malt
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 50 grams of baked black olives
- A pinch of powdered ginger
- A few mint leaves
Seitan with oranges and black olives, Preparation
- After having washed the olives well, pit them and chop them coarsely
- Wash the oranges, press the juice into a bowl, mix it with the malt and dissolve the salt and ginger
- Fry the olives for a few minutes in a non-stick pan with a drizzle of oil then add the slices of seitan, after drying them
- Brown the seitan slices on both sides for 5 minutes, then pour in the orange juice
- Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cooking liquid is almost completely evaporated
The orange seitan is ready, to be served hot with a few mint leaves
Seitan stew with sage and lemon, ingredients
- 4 slices of natural seitan of about 50 grams
- 1/2 onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of corn oil
- A few sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- Grated lemon zest (untreated)
Seitan stew with sage and lemon, Preparation
- Break up the seitan roughly like a stew
- Chop the onion and fry it in a non-stick pan with a drizzle of oil
- At this point add the sage, seitan and mix with a wooden spoon
- Cook for about 10 minutes then add the seasoning liquids and finish cooking
Your seitan stew is ready to serve hot.
For other recipes based on seitan, please refer to the article "Seitan recipes"