To make our home warm and welcoming, we can fill every apparently “dead” corner with beautiful colored candles: they ensure a very beautiful visual effect, creating a unique atmosphere capable of stimulating the senses; on the one hand the sight with an added aesthetic value and on the other the sense of smell with the presence of essences and perfumed oils.
After having seen in a previous guide how to make candles at home, in this new guide we will give you some tips on making fragrant citrus candles.
How to make scented candles at home, the necessary
All we need is a mold that we will need for the realization of our candle as well as a can, a tin can or a plastic container, two drops of citrus essence.
How much wax do we need? To calculate the amount, just fill the container with pieces of wax previously recovered from other candles and then double the dose.
How to make scented candles at home, the preparation
- Take two saucepans, one larger and one smaller
- Fill the largest saucepan three quarters full with water, and bring it to a boil
- Put the wax in the smallest saucepan and place it in the first saucepan, taking care to have the heat low, until the wax melts: in practice we are using the bain-marie method to melt the wax
- Once the wax has melted, put two drops of citrus essence inside it, which you can easily find at herbalists or at common supermarkets, pharmacies and DIY stores.
- At this point, you will have to prepare the wick so take a segment and dip it in the wax: the length of the segment must be adequate to the size of the stencil
- After a while, remove the wick and let it cool then pass it between thumb and forefinger and pull it slightly so as to keep it taut
- Holding the wick vertically, start pouring the hot wax into the mold, until it has completely cooled.
Warning: if you use corrugated tin cans as a stencil, know that once the wax has cooled, extracting it will become really difficult!
Variants: in any case you can give inspiration to your creativity both with fragrances and colors, thus giving life to different candles, one-color or, if you wish, even with more colors, i.e. creating different layers of wax each time with as many colors.
Alternatively, if you want to create a composition that can contain our scented candle inside, you can put dry citrus fruits with berries around it.
Ingredients for making scented candles
If you don't know where to get the ingredients forprepare scented candles, we point out some of them on Amazon:
Natural soy wax, 1 kg offered at 24.26 euros
Natural soy wax with coconut flavor + 4 wicks, 600 grams + 4 wicks proposed for 17.97 euros.
Wicks for candles
Beeswax - 100% natural, the 500 gram pack is priced at € 15.49.
For the essences, we recommend adding natural ingredients such as essential oils which, at the same time, allow you to perfume your home and delight the inhabitants witharomatherapy. For all information on the fragrances to choose, we refer you to the article Essential oils, how to choose.